October 31 – November 4, 2022
Study Guide Bible Lesson 12: Gideon Faces Fear
Memory Verse: Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with my righteous right hand. CSB
- Israel was oppressed by the Midianites because of Israel’s unfaithfulness to God.
- The oppression by the Midianites lasted 7 years.
- A prophet repeated God’s command that Israel was not to worship other gods.
- God appeared to Gideon as the Angel of the Lord while Gideon was threshing wheat in the winepress.
- Gideon was threshing wheat at the winepress because he was afraid of the Midianites.
- Just as God had done for Moses, God encouraged Gideon by promising His power and presence.
- Gideon told God he had been looking for God’s miracles, like those that had occurred in the Israelites’ history, to gain freedom from the Midianites. God’s response was for Gideon to go in this strength and that god would be with him.
- Gideon replied with an excuse. His excuse for not being able to lead Israel was that he was from the weakest clan and was the least in his family.
- Although Gideon obeyed God and Destroyed his father’s altar to Baal, he did it at night rather than in the daytime because he was afraid.
- To help overcome his fear and to develop his growth in faith, Gideon requested from God first a wet fleece, then a dry fleece.
- Gideon began to overcome his fear by listening to God and growing in faith.
- When Gideon’s faith in God became stronger, his fears diminished. He worshiped God and became the leader God designed him to be.
- God reduced the size of Israel’s army to 300 warriors because He did not want the army to claim the glory for the victory, when the glory belonged to God.
- God’s unusual battle strategy was for Gideon and his men to blow the trumpets, break the pitchers, shouting, “A sword for the Lord and for Gideon!” and then stand still.
- Through Gideon and his 300 valiant men, God miraculously provided deliverance for His people. In an astonishing victory, the Midianites attacked each other, and no Israelites were killed.
- People are in danger of judgment, like the Israelites, when they reject God.
- Perfect love, faith in Jesus Christ, and the Word of God overcomes fear.
- Omnipotent means all-powerful. Only God is omnipotent.
- The key to overcoming all fears is faith.
Spelling Lesson 12
refusing – the act of denying, giving back, or disproving
reverse – to turn back to the original thought, belief, or position
version – an account that is turned to reflect a particular view point
signals – marks that give notice
convert – to turn into something different
convertible – able to be turned
memory – a state of remembering and retaining knowledge
revise – to correct and improve text by looking over it again
revision – a state of correcting and improving text
inform – to shape thoughts; communicate knowledge
revival – the renewal of life
revive – to bring back to life
regression – a backward trend; a decline
reporting – to tell information again
transport – to carry from one place to another
oppressed – weighed down by harsh authority or power
covet – a strong desire to have something that belongs to another
rationalize – to justify a wrong behavior as being right
conviction – a strong belief
parable – a story illustrating a biblical truth
Spelling Pretest – Monday, October 31
Bible: Chapter 11 Tuesday, November 1 (Study guide posted last week).
Spelling Definition Test – Thursday, November 3
Spelling Word Test – Friday, November 4
Read and Comprehend Cold Reads – Friday, November 4
Math Chapter 3 Test – Wednesday, November 9 (Finishing Chapter 3 and chapter review will be completed in class during the week)
Reading Vocabulary and Story Comprehension – Friday, November 4
Homework: Please check your child’s agenda for daily homework. (i.e., math)
Study for upcoming tests!
Read AR book for 20 minutes each night.
Weekly Focus October 24-28, 2022
Bible – Chapter 12 Gideon Faces Fear
Literature – By the Shores of Silver Lake
English – Pronouns
Math – Chapter 3- Multiply Whole Numbers
Science – Cells